Saturday 24 September 2011

In the shoes of Edie Sedwick

So my friend decided to do a project based on Andy Warhol's factory. The factory, was basically a studio apartment located on the fifth floor at 231 East 47th Street, in Midtown Manhattan. The original Factory was often referred to by those who frequented it as the Silver Factory. Covered with tin foil and silver paint, the Factory was decorated by Warhol's friend Billy Name, who was also the in-house photographer at the Factory. Warhol would often bring in silver balloons to drift around the ceiling.
Warhol had a group of people he worked with called the 'factory people', Edie Sedwick was one of them.It became a meeting place of artists and musicians such as Lou Reed, Bob Dylan, Truman Capote and Mick Jagger. 
When we first read it up, it seemed like such a free place to be in. It seemed like this unearthly place where creative people met, spit-balled ideas, did their own thing!

it was famous for nudity, graphic sexuality, drug use, same-sex relations and transgender characters.
So coming back to Edie Sedwick. When I first saw her picture, I imagined this carefree, beautiful woman who seemed to be brimming with life!
I mean, look at her. She seems like one those beautiful creatures who have everything in the world going for them. the beauty, the fame and the fortune. That is the problem with us, when we see a beautiful person, we instantly make assumptions about the kind of life they lead.
Only when I saw the movie Factory Girl and read up a little more about her, I realized how tragic her life really was.
Its hard for me to believe how a beautiful woman of 28, died due to ethanol intoxication!
It just makes me so sad! And angry!
Her relationships with Bob Dylan, Bob Neuwirth and Andy Warhol  consumed her and added to her fragility and insecurities.
"It was really sad - Bobby [Neuwirth]'s and my affair. The only true, passionate, and lasting love scene, and I practically ended up in the psychopathic ward. I had really learned about sex from him, making love, loving, giving. It just completely blew my mind - it drove me insane. I was like a sex slave to this man. I could make love for forty-eight hours, forty-eight hours, forty-eight hours, without getting tired. But the minute he left me alone, I felt so empty and lost that I would start popping pills.."
Her infamous quote on her relationship with Bob Neuwirth.
Sedgwick was buried in the small Oak Hill Cemetery in Ballard, California in a simple grave. Her epitaph reads "Edith Sedgwick Post – Wife Of Michael Brett Post. Although Sienna Miller did a pretty fine job with the role, the movie lacked intensity for me. It didn't want to make me cry and go into a big black hole of depression. but when I read about Edie's life, I realllly did!
So now i plan to watch a soppy movie which makes me believe in life again :/
just kidding folks, Im alright. Just a little blue, if you may.
Planning to watch Sweet Home Alabama to lighten things up XD
Till next time,
                                                                               Au revoir and truckloads of love! xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment